Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A little science lesson to start

Since this is my first post I think I'll explain what the plan is (with a few disclaimers along the way). I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease a little over 2 years ago. I want to share my journey with others. This may provide to be an encouragement through your own journey, or an encouragement to get tested, or it's just going to gross you out and wish you have never heard of Celiacs. I am a very open person about my struggles with this disease, more so with people I know can handle it. I have had agonizing "episodes" and fluctuated weight and gotten so constipated my stomach would be distended. If you have struggled with Celiacs, or know someone who has, you can understand the physical and emotional toll it can take on you without the proper support system.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Celiac Disease; here's a quick run down. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder (like Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis). But, unlike other autoimmune diseases, it has a treatment that will theoretically rid you of all symptoms. This treatment is the complete removal of gluten from the diet. Gluten is a protein found in most grains, but the particular gluten proteins found in wheat, rye, and barley (along with some lesser known relatives: bulgur, couscous, spelt, einkorn, emmer, farina, graham, kamut, matzo, mir, seitan, semolina, triticale). Gluten is a problem for those with Celiacs, because the autoimmune reaction happens in the small intestine when gluten is ingested. In other words, when someone with Celiac Disease eats a piece of bread made with any kind of gluten containing flour the immune system responds by attacking the lining of the small intestine (not something it's supposed to do). Because of this autoimmune reaction Celiacs tend to have mostly digestive symptoms, but recently researchers are starting to find that there is a much wider variety of symptoms. Sometimes it can be something as simple as anemia, to osteoperosis, to lymphoma. Doctors used to think (and some still do) that unless you have diarrhea all the time there's no way you could possibly have Celiac Disease (I met one of these doctors during my wanderings).

Now of course, I didn't cover everything. There are a multitude of websites out there that provide information. There's the Celiac Sprue Association or the Celiac Disease Foundation. There's also a lot of research being done at the Mayo Clinic. And then there's my favorite website; WebMD.

With all of that said, I hope that you will stay tuned for the beginning of my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment