Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

The results

I was driving to work a few days after my appointment with the allergist when my phone rang. I remember exactly where I was when he said, "I got your blood test results back, and surprisingly they were positive." I didn't understand all of the implications that would have until later; and I'm still realizing some of them now. Unfortunately he didn't give me much else to go on except that I had a high TTG antibody result. (TTG stands for tissue transglutaminase, antibodies to this enzyme are specific to Celiac Disease, but this test isn't 100% accurate). I found out later that my antibody levels were almost 200, where anything above 30 is considered a strong positive.

That night I went out with my best friend for a "last meal" of sorts. We went to a place that specialized in crepes. I remember that I did get sick from the meal, and that it wasn't my favorite meal ever, but I was still grateful for the support of my friend. The next day turned into a whirlwind of trying to sort out what I could and couldn't eat. Thankfully I had a Celiac friend who was willing to help and took me grocery shopping later on.

One of the things that has made getting a "gold standard" diagnosis was that the doctor who told me my results failed to mention that I needed to follow up with a gastroenterologist for a biopsy before starting the GF diet, so that my diagnosis could be confirmed. Speaking with my Celiac friend I found out that not everyone has that test done, but I eventually decided that I wanted to be sure so I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist about 3 months after going GF.

As a side note, I have made a few observations about myself during this whole ordeal. The first is actually an observation that my brother made while I was detoxing from gluten (took about a week after starting the GF diet for this to subside). I was at my brother's apartment for some reason or another, and I farted in front of him (we're family, and I have the sense of humor of an 8 year old boy, so farting is quite hilarious to me). About 3 seconds later my brother exclaims, "That smells like brimstone!" That was definitely one of the most descriptive responses I've ever gotten to farting in front of someone. I told this story to a guy friend of mine once and he was actually jealous of my farting power.
The second observation I've made is that I'm pretty sure I subconsciously knew that gluten was what was making me sick when I was a kid. I hated eating all things gluten centered; hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, pizza, spaghetti, cake (I only liked the frosting), even pastries. Now that I've gone GF I have occasional cravings for these foods, especially pizza and sandwiches for some reason. Thankfully I have found some amazing pizza places around the Denver area that have GF options, and some good bread to make sandwiches with.

Next time: gastroenterologist #1

No comments:

Post a Comment